Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Artist of the Year

Yay! 'Showers and Sun, Derbyshire' got picked from around 4,000 entries for the Artists & Illustrators magazine Artist of the Year final.



I haven't entered anything for years... the odd exhibition, like the Derby Open, whose selection process has so far kept me out since about 2007 (|I am going to keep trying though!) The last competition I entered was the Derbyshire Artist of the Year, which I ended up winning!

 This one involves online voting, which I am never particularly sure about. I'm a pretty avid internet user, and have a profile on Twitter and Facebook, and will be promoting the voting opportunity! But some finalists won't be into all that, so they surely won't get the same exposure... its a bit flawed. I think, though, that there is judging involved too, so it won't be all about numbers. Hopefully. Nice opportunity and lots of lovely comments have arrived on my webby doorstep so it's a right old ego boost.

Another boost has been the response so far to my work for Light Relief Air Arts the Royal Derby Hospital. Can't wait to see it in situ at the opening on Thursday - its just off the main corridor near the front entrance. I've so enjoyed the whole process involved! getting to paint large pieces of my favourite subjects... yum. I also just got a commission to paint a large landscape of a lighthouse scene on the Welsh Coast. Mmmm there's something about lighthouses, I've always been drawn to them... perhaps its their lone tinyness, set in the dark, unpredictable, beautifully untameable surround.

Must go paint now, remove myself from the sofa and drink tea.
















No comments:

Post a Comment