Wednesday, 19 September 2012

And finally...

Alderney lighthouse... 



The one whose light flicked across my bedroom through all those glorious summer holidays. There used to be a fog horn too, till recently.... I loved hearing them together, the Alderney one and the more distant ominous tone of Casquets, out to sea. My favourite place will always be the cliffs on Alderney, in thick fog, with the sun burning in and the gulls drifting in and out of sight.

This piece makes me think of one of my favourite artists, Edward Hopper. I love the light in his paintings. Read a great piece about him on The Vibes blog yesterday.

"...he loved the way sunlight paints those shapes, completing them."


Mine isn't quite complete yet but I'm so excited by the shapes and light. 


Slightly tangentially (but not really), I wrote a little song recently called Lighthouse, here it is.


If I kept the lighthouse at night

Calm through the mist and the spray
There till the sea calms and falls
Would you visit me still?
Would you visit me still?

If I were an artist I'd live

In a stone house by the sea
There you could find me by day
Brushes and view
Would you be there too?

If I were a singer I'd learn

How to write one honest song
turning the soul outside in
changing the view
written for you.

If I kept the lighthouse at night
Calm through the mist and the spray
There till the sea calms and falls
Would you visit me still?
Visit me still.

Foggy, fleeting, fantastical life. Love it.

x
:)

3 comments: