Monday, 21 May 2012

A couple new paintings or three, starting to think seawards again though. I need to get down there and paint - can't wait till my teaching week in Devon in June. Good news is the Brownston Gallery in Modbury sold Beachcombing, so they would like some more work.


I don't know whether its the smaller format (these last few pieces have all been 30cm square) or the painting outside - but I've moved away from the semi-abstract style. More realism, though my primary interest remains with the light and colour. Its not been an intentional change... its funny, I keep having to remind myself - there are no rules in this painting life that matter except my own. I paint because I love to paint, and I paint from the inspiration of the moment. It is the most satisfying thing. The times I have felt unsatisfied and doubted my job title are those when the opinions of others have got into my creative way. Wise critique and opinion is great, and I am keen on receiving it! But I can't allow it to affect my inspiration. When it does - the paintings just don't work.






Had an unusual evening last week, life modelling for Rachael Pinks' class at her Cromford studio. Always loved life drawing, and fascinated by the figure in art. My degree show was a collection of tiny black and white close up photographs of the female body (my own). I decided to do it for several reasons - the love of life drawing, to make the poses I loved drawing and see how it felt, and to celebrate being happy in my skin. Good feeling, definitely recommend it. WITH a portable heater.




No comments:

Post a Comment